September in books


First-Time-Reads

Why Not Me?: (Mindy Kaling) 5/5
Mindy Kaling's second book is just as amazing and hilarious as her first, I LOVED her stories, wisdom, and jokes.

Go Set a Watchman: (Harper Lee) 5/5
The controversial, and much-debated sequel to "To Kill a Mockingbird," you can read my thoughts in this post.

Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight: (Sarah J. Maas) 4/5, 5/5
One of those absolutely addicting teen-fantasy series. This one revolves around an 18-year-old assassin, who is released by the prince to be his contestant to be the King's assassin. It's actually decent, and the second book was better than the first. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.

The Knockoff: (Lucy Sykes & Jo Piazza) 4/5
I'm planning to do a review of this book next week, so look out for the post, which I will link here once it's up.


Re-Reads 

Saving Fish From Drowning: (Amy Tan) 4/5
Art collector Bibi Chen planned a trip through China and Myanmar over Christmas with a group of her friends. However, after she is mysteriously killed, they go on the journey without her and end up disappearing in Myanmar. 
I love this book, I love the sassy narrator, and the strange group of, albeit foolish, travelers.

PS, I Love You: (Cecelia Ahern) 3/5
After Holly's husband Gerry dies of cancer, Holly receives a letter a month to help her get her life back on track. Generally speaking I stand by the sentiment that "the book is always better than the movie." Except for a few cases, of which this is one. I just prefer the movie.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: (J.K. Rowling) 5/5
Continuing my read-a-Harry-Potter-book-a-month fun. This is the book I like the least, though. I'm not sure I could pick a favourite. I also give 5/5 as a rating for the HP books because I love them, and probably always will.

I found the next few books in a box of things from when I was a kid. I loved these back when I first read them, but haven't picked them up since. I wondered what I would think of them as an adult.

The Sky is Falling, Looking at the Moon, The Lights Go On Again: (Kit Pearson) 5/5, 5/5, 4/5
This series follows a brother and sister from a small town in England as war evacuees during WWII. Gavin and Norah are evacuated to live with an older woman, who lost her son in the WWI, and her daughter in Toronto. The first two books are from Norah's perspective, and the third is from Gavin's. I loved this series as a kid, and actually even now as an adult I love it.

The Moons of Madeleine: (Joan Clark) 3/5
Mad travels to visit her cousin in Calgary, and finds her much changed. Upset and feeling alone she meets a mysterious girl, who introduces her to the goddesses of the moon. I was obsessed with this book for some reason when I was really, really little. Before I could read it little. I vaguely remember being disappointed when I finally did read it, and I still think it sounds more interesting than it is.

A Handful of Time: (Kit Pearson) 4/5
While visiting her family's cottage with her aunt, uncle, and cousins, Patricia finds a stopwatch in the boathouse. When she goes to start it, she is mysteriously transported back in time. Through the watch she is able to see her mother, Ruth, as a teenager. This is one of those books that has stuck with me. I have never quite forgotten it, which is surprising given how much I read, and how many I forget when I go back to re-read them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KonMari books; pretty and practical

Konkuk University, KU:L House dorms

Style: Tae Gong-sil of Master's Sun (주군의 태양)