My January in books

I am one of those people who never leaves the house without a book in my bag. I should probably be grateful to the invention of the e-reader for significantly reducing the weight on my shoulder. However, I still prefer traditional books. (If I'm honest, I do like my nook for its convenience, but I don't enjoy reading on it as much. Why can't it count pages normally? I hate that pg three can last two or three clicks/page turns.)

Anyway, regardless of form, I love to read! This month I somehow managed to read eight books. I started keeping track of how much I read with a goodreads account a couple years ago. I like that it's an easy way for me to go back and see what I read in a year and what I liked/disliked. I also enjoy doing the annual reading challenge. Although I tend to just type in 50 as a sort of minimum to reach. This month didn't see any major disappointments, just a couple slight ones.

  1. Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield - This is one of those books where not a great deal happens, but the way it is written keeps you from abandoning it. (4/5)
  2.  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - I feel like I'm one of the last to read it, but either way I enjoyed it. (4/5)
  3. Viper's Creed by T.L. Shreffler - If fantasy series are a genre you like, definitely check this one out. They are hard to put down. (4/5)
  4. The Eye of Minds by James Dashner - I weirdly love the Maze Runner series by Dashner, so I was excited to see he had another book out. I can't even explain why I like his books, I just do. (4/5)
  5. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - I LOVED this book so much! I felt like the main character was someone many of us can relate to. I was probably more attached to the characters in this book than I should have been, and I was sad to see it end. (5/5)
  6. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs - The plot is okay, it's nothing tremendously special. It is the use of the vintage photos that makes this series stand out (in my opinion), and I would be lying if I didn't admit that's why I read them. (3/5)
  7. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - Rowell has a way of bringing dark material in without sacrificing the strength of her characters. You care about them and what happens to them. (5/5)
  8. Watermelon by Marian Keyes - Keyes was my Mum's favourite author, and I've now read a number of her books. This one disappointed me, I was a bit fed up with Claire (our narrator and protagonist) for the majority of the book. (2/5)
I'm currently reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and will probably read either Looking for Alaska (John Green), or 1Q84 (Haruki Murakami), after. 
So, what are you reading right now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KonMari books; pretty and practical

Konkuk University, KU:L House dorms

Style: Tae Gong-sil of Master's Sun (주군의 태양)