Buddha’s Birthday Lantern Festival at Cheonggyecheon

This year Buddha’s Birthday was on May 17, and it’s one of the few days that Konkuk closes. Which meant my friends and I could spend the day exploring. We decided to go to Hongdae during daylight, and then off to Cheonggyecheon at night for the last day of the lantern display. 

Cheonggyecheon 청계천 is one of my favourite spots in Seoul. It’s a stream that runs through downtown Seoul, not far from Gyeongbokgung. At the moment, the annual Seoul Lantern Festival is in progress at Cheonggyecheon. I’m a bit jealous I can’t go; it seems even more amazing than the ones for Buddha’s Birthday, which was already gorgeous. I’ll go another year, for sure!

My friends and I entered on the wrong side of the stream, so we walked past the back of all the lanterns first.

It was crowded, but we were still able to move our way to the front to take pictures. There were so many couples though; sometimes Seoul can make you feel lonely as a singleton… There were also a number of families there, but I would still say more couples than anything.

"According to Buddhist beliefs, lanterns symbolize wisdom in that they bring light to the world. “Yeondeung,” which means lighting lantern, is an important ritual in Buddhism gives respect to Buddha. The lantern-lighting began in Korea during the Goryeo (918-1392) and Joseon (1392-1910) Dynasties and has been preserved through rituals such as the lotus lantern service and the lotus lantern parade." (more)

I didn’t notice the butterflies in her sleeves until I looked at my photo. It’s a pretty detail. 

Yes, there is a Texas themed restaurant up there.
 
This dragon was one of my favourites ^^ 

The colours on this one were gorgeous!
 
Next year Buddha's Birthday will be May 6!

I love this little guy. 

After a long day of walking, we ended up going to a nearby Mr. Pizza for dinner. Despite what you may have heard, pizza in Korea isn't that bad. We actually quite liked it! And this trip was our second time going there.
 
Looking down at Cheonggyecheon from street level. 

Which lantern is your favourite? ^^
Sorry I disappeared from blogging for a few days!
(To sum it up in a word: school...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KonMari books; pretty and practical

Konkuk University, KU:L House dorms

Style: Tae Gong-sil of Master's Sun (주군의 태양)