Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tips for dealing with those pre-departure butterflies

The realization that tomorrow marks one month until I am set to depart I have started to get nervous. Up until now I haven't experienced any nerves, just excitement. While excitement is still my main feeling, those butterflies have certainly been popping up. Here are some tips I use to help keep them in control.



Go out and spend time with friends. Whenever I am with my friends I am completely distracted from the stress of all I need to do to prepare to leave. Besides, I won't be able to hangout with them for a few months. So I want to see them as much as I can before I go.

Channel it into something productive. Make lists, figure out what you still need to do before you leave and start working on it. Being prepared well in advanced will lessen the stress the days of and before your flight. I've sort of turned my office space into a packing zone. My suitcases are there along with anything that I am keeping aside to take with me.

Look up the school on Google maps. See what's in the area and think about where you would like to go. I love doing this anytime I travel. I look up whatever hotel I am in and see where the nearest places to eat or shop are, if there are any attractions nearby, etc. That's how I learned how close the Seoul Children's Grand Park is to Konkuk.

Similarly, go to the school's website. Check out the school website to help familiarize yourself with the campus map and what amenities are on campus.

Taylor Swift - Safe and Sound

Night time is generally the worst for nerves and stress for most people. Before you go to sleep try not to think about your trip and do something that makes you relax instead. For me that's climbing into bed with a cup of herbal tea and a book. I have a playlist on my iPod titled "Relax" with songs I find calming, such as Taylor Swift's "Safe and Sound" and "Tree of Life" by Park Ji Yoon. I play it quietly in the background.

How do you deal with those pesky nervous butterflies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...